Assignment 1: Pitfalls in Interviewing Victims
In the assessment of victims, pay special consideration to issues that may affect the ways in which the victims may react to your interventions. You need to do your homework and be aware of issues of possible relevance to the particular person or families you will be interviewing, whether you are:
- Interviewing a victim as part of a psychological evaluation for the court
- Working with law enforcement and need information to help in the prosecution of a crime
- Working as a consultant to an attorney who is defending a person with a history of trauma
Some of the factors possibly influencing people’s reactions to their traumatic experiences and their receptivity to certain manners of interviewing include:
- Age, gender, and sexual orientation
- Religious or spiritual beliefs and background
- Cultural or ethnic background
- Education and intellectual functioning
- Physical illnesses
- Language proficiency
Select two of the factors listed above and explain in detail how they may affect your approach in interviewing and assessing a victim. Support your responses using examples and references from your textbook and other resources, such as websites. Include the references at the end of your posting.
All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources.
- By the due date assigned, post your responses to this Discussion Area.
- Through the end of the module, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. While responding, compare the similarities and differences between what you have constructed and what your classmates have.
|Grading Criteria||Maximum Points|
|Quality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions||
|Quality of responses to classmates||
|Frequency of responses to classmates||
|Reference to supporting readings and other materials||
|Language and grammar||