Sampling with a Pair of Dice
Watch this video
Go to the link: http://www.random.org/dice/ (or any other online dice rolling link)
- Roll the 2 virtual dice and calculate the sum of the pair of virtual dice. Do this 10 times. List your rolls. Show your calculations.
- Then after you have rolled the virtual pair dice 10 times and calculated 10 sums, calculate the average of these 10 sums. Show your calculations.
- Conduct this experiment again, showing your list and average, but this time roll the virtual pair of dice 20 times. Calculate the 20 sums, and then find the average of these 20 sums. Show your work.
- Explain the Central Limit Theorem.
- How does these exercises relate to this weekâ€™s lesson, particularly the Central Limit Theorem?
- If we took everyoneâ€™s averages for the 20 rolls and made a histogram, what would we expect to see, and why?
Hint from Dr. Klotz: I strongly recommend recording the dice rolls and calculations in Excel because you need them again next week. It will save you time if you have the spreadsheet ready to go.