- Read more about Alexis de Tocqueville and Democracy in America http://www.tocqueville.org/
- To review the original article, John L. O’Sullivan on Manifest Destiny, 1839, excerpted from “The Great Nation of Futurity,” The United States Democratic Review, Volume 6, Issue 23, pp. 426-430. (The complete article The Making of America Series,Cornell University) http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=usde;idno=usde0006-4
- If you need some historic context to the term, Manifest Destiny, review the PBS series Prelude to War
- To review the essay: http://www.learner.org/workshops/primarysources/corporations/docs/turner.html
- Review the essays and articles provided above that discuss the origins of American Exceptionalism and contrasting views.
- Write a One-page Response discussing your thoughts on American Exceptionalism as it relates to American political culture.
- Consult How to Write a One-page Response found in the Course Documents menu of Blackboard to help draft your response to this assignment.
- Submit your assignment as a .doc, .docx or .rtf document by selecting the assignment title above.
Students will be able to critically evaluate American Exceptionalism; its origins and development, and relate this idea to our unique American political culture.