In this scenario, your organization has struggled during the past year with hiring qualified radiologic technologists (X-ray techs, radiographers, or rad techs) in your state and two neighboring states. After reading an Office of Inspector General’s (OIG) scope of practice case, your supervisor has become concerned about whether your radiologic technologists can legally administer contrast media, or dye, under the supervision of a physician. If the state allows radiologic technologists to administer contrast media, the organization wants to invest in training radiologic technologists to administer the contrast media rather than hiring additional personnel.
Locate and evaluate the scope of practice information for radiologic technologists for your state and two neighboring states.
Create a 10-minute, 7- to 9-slide voice-over presentation using either MicrosoftÂ® PowerPointÂ® or websites like Google Slidesâ„¢, AdobeÂ® Slate, or Prezi that examines the following:
- What information does each state include regarding scope of practice for radiologic technologists?
- How does the scope of practice for radiologic technologists vary for each state (e.g., administration, certification,regulation, etc.)?
- Can radiologic technologists in the three states administer contrast media or dye under the supervision of a physician?
- In the absence of clarity from the state, discuss options where you might be able to turn to in order to justify practice guidelines for your organization. (What are other similar organizations doing? How do they justify it?)
- Recommend action items to your supervisor.
- Training in contrast administration?
- Hire additional personnel?
Cite 3 reputable references to support your assignment (e.g., trade or industry publications, government or agency websites, scholarly works, or other sources of similar quality).