Motivation, Performance, and Outcomes
To be effective, a company must learn to motivate its employees to efficiently and effectively meet the goals of the organization. After reading Chapter 6 in your text, the article “Person-Organization Fit, Family Supportive Organization Perceptions,” and watching the required videos, discuss the following:
- Explain the difference between content theories of motivation and process theories of motivation. Why is it important to understand the differences?
- Explain, in your own words (using citations), why motivation is suggested to affect individual performance and organizational outcomes.
- Propose at least three strategies to motivate others in the workplace. Include an explanation of the theories that support our suggestions about why these would be productive options.
- Note that extrinsic and intrinsic motivation are types of motivation and should not be presented as theories, but as variables within a theory.
- Lastly, the text suggests that pay is not usually the driving factor in job satisfaction, but can prevent job dissatisfaction. Based on your reading this week, analyze and explain why you think this is and discuss the pros and cons of using financial incentives in the workplace that are discussed in your text?
Your initial post should be between 300 and 400 words. You must use at least one outside source (peer-reviewed article, newspaper article, or other reputable source) in addition to your text. Cite all information from your sources according to APA guidelines as outlined in the In-Text Citation Helper: A Guide to Making APA In-Text Citations. List each of your sources at the end of your post according to APA style as shown in the sample page for References.