Writing about one’s personal experience encourages self-reflection and improves self-awareness. In this
The narrative should include:
- a description of the event
- an explanation of how this event placed a patient at risk
- the student’s reflections on the event including:
- if and how the event was recognized
- why and how the event occurred, for example, was the event due to
- action or inaction by an individual healthcare provider
- system failure(s)
- a combination of systems failure(s) and individual provider performance issues
- what changes or improvements they would
- how they felt at the time
- how they currently feel about the even
- Were you personally involved in the event? Discuss.
- What, if any, workplace factors contributed to the event? (e.g., Was it during a handover? Did it involve a medication?)
- How aware was the healthcare provider(s) of what was going on around them? (situational awareness)
- How did the health care provider(s) recognize the safety problem, and how did they respond?
- How did this event affect you?
- What did you take away that you will use in the future?
- I would do something differently next time because
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors.
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style; and
- use APA 6th Edition format as outlined in the APA Progression Ladder.