Balancing Loyalty and Accountability
Library Research Assignment
Under the IRS tax code, there are many tax laws for which you will need to be in compliance with as a tax preparer.
You are training an intern and must explain to her a tax preparer’s professional responsibilities with respect to the following:
- Maintaining clients’ tax records
- Earned Income credit due diligence, including the types of inquiries you will need to make of the taxpayer to determine his or her eligibility
- At least 2 in-text citations and references in APA style
Prepare a response to discuss your thoughts on the implications of e-filing tax documents.
- What might motivate the average taxpayer to cheat on their taxes? Do you think tax software makes cheating easier? (Support your response.)
- Is it easier or harder to file fraudulent taxes (provide examples)?
- With your experience in this course, what do you see as the most difficult components for individual preparers to understand about filing taxes?