Information System Infrastructure
This assignment will be the first phase of the final project. The final project will allow you to apply the principles and concepts related to managing technology and applying these systems in supporting the overall operations and ultimate success of an organization.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
Describe the components that make up a complex organizational computing environment.
Discuss the integration of components that work together to allow the user community to work with organizational data.
Analyze the interconnectivity of systems and devices to communicate data throughout the organization and across the internet.
Evaluate the various components necessary that develop into a functional design.
- PDF: Carson-Newman Information Technology Strategic Plan 2014–2016
- PDF: City of Fort Collins Information Technology 2014–2018 Strategic Plan
- Website: APA Style Guide
Phase 1 of Final Project: You will select an organization to use for your final project. The objective of the final project is to provide an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the current information systems infrastructure and provide recommendations for improvement. You may include hardware, software, data solutions, security, or other systems used in implementing an enterprise technology solution.
Your final paper due in Workshop Six should include the following sections when completed:
- Summary of the organization’s mission, goals, and strategies from the Workshop Two paper
- SWOT analysis from the Workshop Four paper
- Recommendations as noted for this section above
Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
In this first part of your final project, you will prepare a summary of the organization and the systems currently in use. You may use your own workplace or do internet research for an organization. If the organization is not your own employer, you may use a real company or base a fictitious company on some internet presence, as you will need to provide a website link to the organization you patterned your fictitious company on. In either case, you will need to make sure you can identify the following:
The mission of the organization
The goals management is trying to achieve
The strategies and technology systems currently being used to accomplish the organization’s mission and goals
- You should be able to provide an overview of the organization’s mission.
- What does the organization provide to customers, how does it do this, and what does it see as its current and future goals?
- You will also develop a summary of the systems the organization uses in meeting its goals for products or services.
- For some examples of in-depth information technology strategic plans, consider searching the internet, or see the following PDFs:
- Carson-Newman Information Technology Strategic Plan 2014-2016
- City of Fort Collins Information Technology 2014–2018 Strategic Plan