Messner Co. reported $142,610 of net income for 2010. The accountant, in preparing the statement of cash flows, noted several items occuring during 2010 that mightaffect cash flows from operating activities. These items are listed below.
1. Messner purchased 110 shares of treasury stock at a cost of $21 per share. These shares were then resold at $28 per share.
2. Messner sold 110 shares if IBM common stock at $220 per share. The acquisition cost of these shares was $160 per share. this investment was shown oon Messner'sDecember 31, 2009 balance sheet as an available-for-sale security.
3. Messner revised its estimate for bad debts. Before 2010, Messner's bad debt expense was 1% of its net sales. In 2010 this percentage was increased to 2%. net salesfor 2010 were $508,500, and net accounts receivable decreased bby $11,230 during 2010
4. Messner issued 500 shares of its $13 par common stock for a patent. The market value of the shares on the date of the transaction was $24 per share.
5. Depreciation expense is $37,100
6. Messner Co holds 30% of the Sanchez Company's common stock as a long term investment. Sanchez Company reported $28,370 of net income for 2010
7. Sanchez Company paid a total of $2,100 of cash dividends to all investees in 2010
8. Messner declared a 10% stock dividend. One thousand shares of $13 par common stock were distributed. The market price at date of issuance was $18 per share.
Complete a schedule that shows net cash flow from operating activities using the indirect method. Assume no items other than those listed above affected thecomputation of 2010 net cash flows from operating activities.
Cash flows from operating activities
Net Income _______
Adjustments to reconcile net income
to net cash provided by operating activities
________ ________ _______
Net Cash ___________ by operating activities ________