Friedrich Nietzsche Various Texts
- Describe Nietzsche’s cultural vision.
- What are the differences between the Apollonian and the Dionysian principles in art, and how does Nietzsche conceive of them contributing to great art?
- Explain Nietzsche’s concept of the “death of God.” What are the implications of this idea?
- Why does Nietzsche describe Christianity as “Platonism for the masses”?
- Why does Nietzsche claim that philosophy is life-denying?
- What is the “will to power,” according to Nietzsche?
- What does Nietzsche mean to indicate by his concept of the “overman”?
- Describe and explain the “Three Metamorphoses.”
W.E.B. Du Bois The Souls of Black Folk
- What are the “two worlds” within which black people live, accord to Du Bois, and what is the “veil” that separates these worlds?
- What is the “Negro Problem,” according to Du Bois?
- What question is Du Bois attempting to answer with The Souls of Black Folk?
- How does Du Bois use the principle of identity and difference to describe his own experience of racism as a child?
- What is the “master/slave dialectic,” and how does Du Bois employ it to generate optimism about black emancipation?
- What does Du Bois mean by the concept of “double-consciousness”?
Jean-Paul Sartre’s “Existentialism is a Humanism”
- How are existence and essence related, according to Sartre?
- Why did Jean-Paul Sartre claim that existentialism was a humanism?
- What are the three tenets of Existentialism?
- What did Jean-Paul Sartre mean when he argued that human beings are condemned to be free?
- What role do anguish and forlornness play in ethical choices, according to Jean-Paul Sartre?
Simone de Beauvoir’s The Second Sex
- What is Simone de Beauvoir’s purpose in writing The Second Sex, and what question is she attempting to answer?
- What are the central claims of de Beauvoir’s The Second Sex?
- How does de Beauvoir understand the relationship between essence and existence?
- What are it’s basic claims of de Beauvoir’s existentialism?
- What does de Beauvoir mean when she describes woman as “Other”?
- What is the difference between sex and gender, according to de Beauvoir?
- What does de Beauvoir mean when she says that “One is not born, but rather becomes a woman”?