Learning Objective 5. Apply legal parameters and ethical principles related to the professional nursing role in the provision of safe, patient-centered care
As a registered nurse within your professional practice setting, it is important to understand that the Nurse Practice Act differs regionally depending on the state you live in. As a visiting nurse, you are seeing a 72-year-old patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The patient has been discharged home, and this is your first post-hospital visit. Upon arrival you ask the patient for his discharge medications and notice that his medication list has changed from his pre-admission stay.
- Review the Nurse Practice Act within your state and describe the provision that discusses safe medication administration.
- What safeguards are in place that would prevent harm for this patient?
- How do you as a nurse foster and enforce a set of professional values that are essential to upholding ethical principles?
- What are the scope and standards of practice?
- How are scope and standards of practice different from the nursing scope of practice?
- What is the role, objective and function of the board of nursing?