Your document should include the following:
- An overview of the software and its intended purpose
- A description of the intended audience
- Clear instructions on how to connect to the data warehouse and addresses:
- What software/hardware is required
- Any preliminary activities (installation, configuration, etc.)
- Screenshots where appropriate
- Example activities where appropriate
- Basic troubleshooting (remember, though, this is not a technical audience)
- FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Utilize an extensive variety of sources and reference (cited in standard format) additional documentation as appropriate.
Be sure to apply the following in your User Guide:
- Exhibit appropriate, audience-specific tone and vocabulary tied to the purpose of your user guide (Remember, you are speaking to non-technical business managers).
- Use a consistent tone in your guide and organize it carefully to make it an effective too for the intended audience.