TREND ANALYSIS paper
5-6 page paper identifying and analyzing a trend in the arena of sports media, providing evidence of its significance and describing its future implications.
The trend analysis, with supporting citations, should answer many of the following questions:
- Why is this trend important to the sports media industry?
- What is the historical background?
- Who are the key players â€“ persons, institutions, events?
- What is likely to happen in this area?
- What statistical or industry evidence can you offer to support your claim that this event or activity is significant?
- What conclusions can you draw from this logical argument?
- What are implications for the industry in the future?
general thought starters: (you can write about any trend/issue you feel is important)
- Live streaming – Will YouTube, and other streaming sites become players in the rights game? What are the barriers, the challenges, the benefits??
- Social Video (Snapchat, Facebook Live etc.) â€“We connect quickly and intimately, but will the space become over-saturated? authenticity issues? what importance does it play in “media” and sharing news?
- Wearable technology – will this be a place to develop for news institutions? what role does it play for the viewers? the athletes as media companies and content creators?
- Virtual reality/ Augmented Reality
- How International Basketball Is Thriving In Digital Age
- eSports â€“ as it grows online, TV networks like TBS and ESPN are hoping to cash in on that popularity; why is that important to TV networks? what role does it play in the future – an Olympic sport?
- End of traditional news – less papers, more digital and online; what pitfalls are there in terms of accuracy? (cite NCAA basketball investigations)