Create a 5-minute presentation for a committee kickoff meeting in which you describe your leadership role, team composition, and how to foster collaboration.
The assessments in this course build upon one another and must be completed in the order presented.
Leading teams is not an academic exercise. At some point in your career, it is likely that you will lead a team. You may even be fortunate enough to be able to choose one. In any case, being able to share your vision or plans through a presentation is highly likely, and is a skill worth developing.
Collaboration and Empowerment
Leaders need to foster collaboration. This can be accomplished by empowering others. The following resource explore this topic.
- Kouzes, J. M., & Posner, B. Z. (2017). The leadership challenge: How to make extraordinary things happen in organizations (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Chapter 10, “Strengthen Others.”
Diversity and Team Building
The following resources explore the diversity component of leadership.
- Gotsis, G., & Grimani, K. (2016). Diversity as an aspect of effective leadership: Integrating and moving forward. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 37(2), 241–264.
- Downey, S. N., Werff, L., Thomas, K. M., & Plaut, V. C. (2015). The role of diversity practices and inclusion in promoting trust and employee engagement. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 45(1), 35–44.
- Lundi, D., Taylor, T.-A., Nguyen, C., & Tiarachristie, G. (2018). Creating a diversity committee: Lessons from APA’s New York Metro Chapter [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://www.planning.org/blog/blogpost/9146276/
In this assessment, you will create a 5-minute presentation for a committee kickoff meeting in which you describe your leadership role, team composition, and how to foster collaboration.
For this assessment:
- Use the PowerPoint Template [PPTX] to complete this assessment..
- Kaltura (optional): (Note: create your narrated PowerPoint presentation)
Imagine that Lynette follows up with you in an e-mail shortly after reading your views on leadership and collaboration.
E-mail From Lynette
Thanks for sending me your thoughts on the diversity issue at the Lakeland Clinic. The next step is for you to select a team of professionals who can help you in this project and prepare an introduction of the project for a first meeting with them.
I want you to prepare a presentation to serve as a brief, but substantive introduction for the first meeting with a group of four members who will participate on the committee tasked with addressing the diversity issue.
The presentation should be approximately 5 minutes (use as many slides as required with detailed speaker’s notes) so I can understand your approach. Not a lot of time or space, so keep things pretty high level. Do the following:
- Briefly outline the project goals and highlight 2–3 of the initial priorities to be addressed by the group.
- Explain the composition of your ideal team and why you chose them. (Note that you will not know the exact personnel yet, but assume we will recruit the people with the desired qualities and characteristics that you outline in the presentation.) Provide brief description of the type of professionals you believe can help define the problem and ultimately make recommendations on how to address it. You will want the group to be diverse and with each member being able to provide a unique perspective.
- Explain your role and describe how the committee will work together and achieve effective interprofessional collaboration.
- Describe how the group will communicate. Include how and when they will meet.
- Describe how ideas will be shared and decisions made.
- Describe roles, group function, and structure.
Use the PowerPoint Template [PPTX] to create an approximately 5-minute narrated presentation with visuals in response to the above scenario.
Be sure your presentation meets the following requirements:
- Length: Approximately 5 minutes (use as many slides as required).
- Visuals: Create visuals that are easily read and interpreted. Use colors, fonts, formatting, and other design principles that make the information clear and generally add to the aesthetic of the presentation.
Diversity Project Kickoff Presentation Scoring Guide
|State goals and initial priorities that reasonably reflect a project.||States concise goals and initial priorities that accurately and completely reflect the project.|
|Justify one’s own criteria and choice for committee members.||Provides strong justification for one’s own criteria and choice for committee members in great detail.|
|Describe a plan to facilitate effective interprofessional collaboration among a committee.||Describes a plan to facilitate effective interprofessional collaboration among a committee in great detail that includes specific examples.|
|Create an organized presentation that clearly communicates all specified content.||Organizes content so clarity is enhanced and all ideas flow logically with smooth transitions.|
|Organize content so ideas flow logically with smooth transitions.||Organizes content so clarity is enhanced and all ideas flow logically with smooth transitions.|