Only has to be 3 pages in length, possible bonus!
Write a paper discussing the overlap of crime, punishment, and poverty.
In your paper, please explain the following five core arguments made by
- Criminal sanctions and victimization work to form a system of disadvantage that perpetuates stratification and poverty.
- Punishment impacts individuals convicted of felonies, as well as their families, peer groups, neighborhoods, and racial group.
- After controlling for population differences, African Americans are incarcerated approximately seven times as often as Whites.
- Variation in criminal punishment is linked to economic deprivation.
- As the number of felons and former felons rises, collateral
sanctions play an ever-larger role in racial and ethnic stratification,
operating as an interconnected system of disadvantage.