You will need to search for a news article that relates to any of the social justice/health disparities topics that we have discussed in this course. Make sure that you include a link to the article or a scanned copy when submitting the assignment.
you will write a letter to the editor. Your letter can express one of the following:
- You are angry about something, and want others to know it
- You think that an issue is so important that you have to speak out
- Part of your group’s strategy is to persuade others to take a specific action
- Suggest an idea to other
- Influence public opinion
- Educate the general public on a specific matter
- Influence policy-makers or elected officials directly or indirectly
- Publicize the work of your group and attract volunteers or program participants
Please refer to the guidelines found in “How to Write a Letter to the Editor”.
Write a brief (50-200 words), open-ended reflection of the project. Here are some ideas for what you can talk about:
- Something new that you learned from the article
- Potential bias that you found in the news article and/or news source
- Overall impression of the letter writing process (Was it easy, difficult, manageable?)
- Something else that you would like to mention