1. You will be given one (1) journal article during the semester to write a reaction
paper. This paper MUST be submitted electronically through Turnitin.com by
the appointed time and date posted in the module Writing Assignment. No late
papers will be accepted for any reason.
2. This paper is to be approximately five (5) pages in length, not including the
references. The text of the paper starts on page one with; a) the title of the paper,
b) the author(s) name(s), date of publication and c) your name, course number and
name, department, university, and the due date (see sample paper). The text
starts immediately after. The paper must be in APA format and typed using MS
Word with a font size of 12 pt (please use spell checker and grammar checker).
The link below will direct you to a web site that can help you with APA format.
3. You are to find three (3) articles that support the articleâ€™s position and three (3)
articles that provide an alternative position to the target article. Articles that are
acceptable for citation must be from scientific journals or scholarly texts (see
sample references for formatting). Popular press and web site articles are not
acceptable for reaction papers.
4. The paper should include: a) the articleâ€™s position; b) evidence supporting the
articleâ€™s position; c) evidence for an alternative position; and d) what position you
take and the evidence that convinced you to take that position. To enhance critical
thinking, advance reasoning, and writing skills, your arguments must be based on
empirical evidence and the scientific literature. Opinions and speculations should
be kept to a minimum. Faith based arguments, such as the bible or god, are not
acceptable arguments for your reaction papers.
5. After writing your paper you must submit your paper to Smarthinking in Canvas
or have it reviewed by the Writing Center. Smarthinking is an on-line writing
center that will assist you in your writing. You may also get assistance from the
University Writing Center located in the Helen T. Chick building.
6. Your paper MUST be submitted to me through Turnitin.com (see Canvas for
submission of reaction papers).