In this exercise, you will be given the opportunity to solve a medical mystery.
Below are three descriptions of three different illnesses. Each illness is caused by a type of bacteria (they are NOT caused by viruses).
Choose ONE of the three cases described below. Then determine which type of bacteria caused that illness and complete the assignment by following the outlined guidelines:
A. Write a typed, well-constructed (complete sentences, proper grammar) report of not more than three double spaced page (4 points for construction of paper, grammar, and spelling).
Answer each of the 6 questions below- make sure you devote at least one paragraph to answering each one (8 points foreach question).
1. What microorganism causes this disease? Make sure to give the name of the bacteria in proper binomial nomenclature and discuss any virulence factors or specific traits of this bacteria that influences the disease.
2. What is your diagnosis (i.e. what is the disease), and what specific features within the case were critical to your diagnosis of this disease?
3. How is this disease transmitted?
4. How is the disease treated? Make sure to be specific on types of treatments used and timing of treatment needed.
5. What symptoms might the patient develop if the disease is not treated?
6. What is the prognosis with treatment?
B. (8 points) Include a reference section with at least 4 citationsincluding at least one published reference. Use resources such as microbiology text books, encyclopedias, HCC Library databases (e.g. Pro Quest Biology, Pro Quest Nursing) journals and online medical and government (ie CDC) sites to research these questions.
Indicate the source of information you found in APA formatting.
- Do not forget to include in-text and parenthetic citations every time you borrow someone’s idea and use information from a source, even if you paraphrased it. Be sure to include the publication date, when applicable.
- Not having in-text or parenthetical citations is an academic honesty violation.
- Comment on the reliability of the source (why you think this source is reliable) under each reference in a bibliography at the end of your document.
Submissions need to be in either .doc, .docx, or .pdf format.
All references must be cited, and direct quotes from the references must be indicated as such, using quotation marks. However, in science writing, direct quotes are seldom used. Instead you need to paraphrase the information in the reference, and supply the citation. Substantial use of direct quotes or quoting more than one sentence at a time will result in a reduction of points.
In the case of plagiarism, all students involved will receive a “0” on this assignment. Thereafter, plagiarism will be handled according to the College’s Academic Honesty Policy, with possible failure of the course and suspension from the College.
Here are the cases for you to solve remember that you just have to choose ONE of the following cases to discuss in your Case Study. I hope that you enjoy this exercise!!
1. A few weeks after returning from visiting his parents in India, Navin developed a bad cough that persisted for the next three weeks. As he is a heavy smoker, he Over this period, he began to feel weak and lethargic and had trouble sleeping at night due to excessive sweating. He also started to lose weight as he didn’t have much of an appetite. He then began to cough up blood and feel pain in his chest, which prompted him to go see his doctor. Once his doctor heard his symptoms, he took a blood sample for testing and gave Navin a chest X-ray. The doctor also collected a sample of his sputum coughed up from his lungs to perform an acid-fast stain for identification.