- Discuss sociology, its origins, and the concept of adopting sociological and global perspectives when observing society.
- Specify the key elements of science that are applied by sociologists to the scientific study of social groups and society, defining the key scientific terms and describing how they are used in sociology.
- Explain the sociological meaning of the concept of culture and its components, providing examples of each.
- Identify the characteristics of social structure and explore the relationship between social structure and individuality.
- Discuss basic concepts relating to the social institutions of kinship, family, and marriage on both the local and global levels.
- Explain the four (4) basic principles and different systems of social stratification.
- Explain the role that gender plays in socialization in the family, the peer group, schooling, and the mass media.
- Distinguish between race and ethnicity, and describe racism and prejudice, identifying the three (3) perspectives theories of the latter.
- Explain the basic components used by demographers to study populations and describe demographic changes in the United States throughout its history, using the perspectives of Ferdinand Tönnies, Emile Durkheim, Georg Simmel, Robert Park, and Louis Wirth on urbanization as a way of life.
- Describe the four general characteristics of social change, discuss the different sources of social change, and compare the perspectives on social change as offered by Ferdinand Tönnies, Emile Durkheim, Max Weber, and Karl Marx.
- This assignment will explore in-depth the Thomas Theorem. Research the Thomas Theorem, look at sources outside of the text book. Once you have a grasp on what the Theorem states answer the following scenarios:
- Relate the Thomas Theorem to the concept of a teacher believing a student is more intelligent than they really are. How will this interaction be different from other students? Is this theory a beneficial theory or a detrimental theory… Why?
- Explain how the theory is used in law enforcement; especially in regard to hostile subjects or subjects with mental disability. Is the theory beneficial or detrimental… why?
- Create a Word document for your paper and be sure to cite our sources.
- Your paper should be a minimum of 3-5 pages with outside resources given in proper APA format.
- The use of outside resources is required, and all papers must be cited and written in current APA format.