Please complete the following questions. It is important that you use full sentences and present the questions and answers when you submit your work.
Submit the work as a file attachment. This means you complete all work in a word processing document (e.g., Microsoft Word) and attach the file using the dropbox tool. Use the Unit 6: Text Questions dropbox.
The answers to the Text Questions are worth 10 points.
UNIT 6 TEXT QUESTIONS
- What are lancet arches? Describe how and why they are used.
- What are flying buttresses? Describe how and why they are used.
- What are gargoyles? What are their functions in architecture?
- What are barrel vaults?
- What is Migration Period art? What is Insular art?
Critical Thinking Questions
- Why is it somewhat difficult to distinguish early Christian art from other art of that time period?
- How did Christianity influence art?
- What are the characteristics of Byzantine art?
- What are the characteristics of Gothic art?
- Choose one artwork shown in the unit. Write a two-paragraph art critique of the piece.
Unless otherwise instructed, you should submit at least one full paragraph for each question.
Which piece of art from the unit do you most like? Why? (Pick The Pantheon Photo by Giovanni Paolo Panini, Public Domain. and make up a reason please)
Compare Gothic architecture to the architecture of ancient Rome. What are the similarities and differences in these two styles?