1. Next time you are out driving around, look around and notice ALL the forms of energy that are around you that are so available to us, if only we would or could capture them. List and describe a at least 3 of these. (6 pts.)
2. Why do you have to continually fill up the gas tank on your vehicle? Where does all the MASS in that gas GO? Determine how much gas or diesel you consume in your vehicle each year. (# of miles driven / average miles per gallon) Now multiply the # of gallons per year x 2.24 kg, which is the mass of carbon that is emitted per gallon of gas. For every 50 kg of carbon emitted from your tailpipe, youâ€™d have to plant one tree PER YEAR to take up that CO2and lock it back into biomass. HOW MANY TREES PER YEAR would YOU need to plant to offset your carbon emissions from your car? Write out your calculation in words. (10 pts.)
3. What are some of Amory Lovins BIG ideas for integrating our energy systems? What is his plan for weaning us off of all fossil fuels without relying on nuclear energy, and still saving tons of money? (14 pts.)
4. Assuming we are at or beyond â€œPeak Oilâ€, why are we not investing more resources into developing alternative ways to capture renewable energy? What would it take to enhance those investments?
5. From Amory Lovins’s TED Talk, consider how electric power production and transportation can be linked to promote a shift to a mostly wind and solar-driven electric energy future. Can you see it happening?